Yoga 4 the 2nd trimester and beyond!
Pregnancy yoga is suitable for both beginners and experienced practitioners. During pregnancy, yoga can play a key role in enhancing the experience of this precious time and empower the mother-to-be to have the most conscious birth experience. Yoga can help women enjoy their pregnancy with minimal discomfort, cultivate breath awareness and strengthen the body in preparation for labour. Yoga also offers you the opportunity to connect with your baby, and coming to classes is a great way to feel part of a community of pregnant women.
The benefits of pregnancy yoga
- increases your energy
- empowers the mother-to-be to have conscious birth experience
- keeps you fit whilst being sensitive to the baby and you
- decreases anxiety
- strengthens birthing muscles
- quickens postpartum recovery
- improves sleep
- reduces backache
- improves circulation
- promotes healthy birth
When to practice
Be conscious of how your body feels and seek medical advice regarding any health issues.
General guidelines are that you:
- rest during the first trimester
- start yoga in the second trimester
- continue your classes until before birth
- take up postnatal classes after birth
It’s never too late to practise prenatal yoga!
Yoga DVDs are a valuable home resource but are always a supplement to the hands on guidance of an experienced pregnancy yoga teacher.
Need an instructor? Take a look at our Yoga Directory