Yoga for the 2nd trimester
Pregnancy yoga is suitable for both beginners and experienced practitioners. During pregnancy, yoga can play a key role in enhancing the experience of this precious time and empower the mother-to-be to have the most conscious birth experience. Yoga can help women enjoy their pregnancy with minimal discomfort, cultivate breath awareness and strengthen the body in preparation for labour. Yoga also offers you the opportunity to connect with your baby, and coming to classes is a great way to feel part of a community of pregnant women.
The benefits of pregnancy yoga
- increases your energy
- empowers the mother-to-be to have conscious birth experience
- keeps you fit whilst being sensitive to the baby and you
- decreases anxiety
- strengthens birthing muscles
- quickens postpartum recovery
- improves sleep
- reduces backache
- improves circulation
- promotes healthy birth
When to practice
Be conscious of how your body feels and seek medical advice regarding any health issues.
General guidelines are that you:
- rest during the first trimester
- start yoga in the second trimester
- continue your classes until before birth
- take up postnatal classes after birth
It’s never too late to practise prenatal yoga! So whatever stage in your pregnancy, come along and experience the benefits of yoga under the care of our expert pregnancy yoga teachers.
Baby yoga helps to attune to your baby’s needs and to calm or stimulate them as appropriate with a sense of security and wellbeing. It is beneficial for all babies, you don’t need to practice yoga or even know anything about yoga to get started with your baby. From Birth babies respond positively to the stimulation of movement and touch together.
Baby Yoga includes a wide range of different practices that can be combined to suit the needs of each baby or toddler through their individual development:
- Gentle body strokes
- Yoga moves adapted to babies (mini twists, mini stretches, upper and lower body movements, diagonal movements) These moves have been transmitted though generations in India for at least 2000 years
- A blend of postnatal yoga and baby yoga for new mothers
- Playful moves with rhymes
- Joint parent/baby relaxation (walking relaxation, instant relaxation, relaxation to sleep, feeding relaxation)
Baby yoga offers quality physical stimulation that has become essential in an urban sedentary lifestyle. For every hour that babies spend strapped in cars seats or home seats, 5 minutes of Baby Yoga provide stretching as a start to a healthy lifestyle. Baby yoga can be practiced instantly anywhere at anytime and always generates a joyful interaction.
Where can I find a class?
Take a look at our list of recommended teachers and studios here